Hard-paste porcelain and gilt bronze, 1817. The porcelaines de Saint-Cloud PDF nationale de Sèvres is one of the principal European porcelain manufactories. It is located in Sèvres, Hauts-de-Seine, France.
It is the continuation of Vincennes porcelain, founded in 1738, which moved to Sèvres in 1756. Its production is still largely based around the creation of contemporary objects today. 130 metres long and four stories high, the building was erected between 1753 and 1756 by the architect Laurent Lindet on the site of a farm called « de la Guyarde. There was a central pavilion surmounted by a pediment with a clock from the old royal glass-makers on the fourth level, with two long wings terminating in corner pavilions at each end. The ground floor of the building contained clay reserves, books and storerooms of raw materials.
The first floor contained the workshops of the moulders, plasterers, sculptors, engravers and the ovens. On the second floor were the sculptors, turners, repairers and packers. Jean-Claude Chambellan Duplessis served as artistic director of the Vincennes porcelain manufactory and its successor at Sèvres from 1748 to his death in 1774. The manufactory was bought by the King in 1759, although Madame de Pompadour was allowed effective free rein to oversee it. Initially, the manufactory produced soft-paste porcelain.